Below are a few of the websites I frequent, other than sewing blogs. It is by no means a complete list and I’ll be slowly adding to it as I remember/re-visit sites.
Pattern, fabric and notion websites are only listed if I have purchased from them personally (unless otherwise noted with an *).
I hate page lists with broken links too so please use the contact form below to notify me of any.
I am sure this list will be under constant revision so remember to check back every now and again.
Sewing Patterns (envelope & downloadable):
- BurdaStyle – Downloadable patterns from BurdaStyle and selected patterns from BurdaStyle magazines
- Sewingpatterns.com – The “Big 4″, Burda, Neue Mode, Kwik Sew, Hot Patterns, New Look, La Fred, Brown Paper and many independent brands. Regular sales, envelope & downloadable patterns (via PrintSew.com)
- Vogue, Butterick & McCalls (also Kwik Sew)- Envelope patterns, join the mailing list to get notifications for new patterns and sales
- Simplicity – Also sells New Look and BurdaStyle envelope patterns, some downloadable patterns available. Postage for international orders is ridiculous, buy from sewingpatterns.com when they have a sale instead.
- Colette Patterns – Amazing independent envelope patterns, super cute, beautifully packaged. Newer patterns available in downloadable format, older patterns will be uploaded soon.
- Sewaholic Patterns - “Sewing patterns for the modern seamstress”
- Deer & Doe – “Pretty Sewing Patterns”
- Sew Daily/Stitch – e-Magazines, e-Patterns and Books
- Papercut Patterns – Beautiful & sustainable envelope sewing patterns – Designed and made in New Zealand
- Lekala - Individually sized downloadable patterns in your measurements as well as standard sizing
- Eliza M Vintage Style Sewing - Vintage inspired sewing patterns*
- My Sewing Machine Addiction – Fantastic blog of the complete stripdown and restoration of a 1940s Singer 201-2
Free Downloadable Sewing Patterns:
- BurdaStyle – The few remaining free downloadable patterns by BurdaStyle and some from BurdaStyle Magazine
- BurdaStyle (Member Patterns) - Link to free patterns uploaded by members of BurdaStyle
- BurdaStyle German Site – In German, you have to sort of follow your nose and you “purchase” the free patterns (for $0), just keep clicking through, you’ll get them in the end
- Your Style Rocks – Fairly new sewing site, member inspired patterns, regular competitions, free pdf downloads in all sizes A0 or A4
- Peppermint Magazine Sewing School – A new free pattern each month!
- Bernina - A few free dress patterns and instructions
- Modern Sewing Patterns - aka M-Sewing
- PrintSew.com (Click on the ‘Free Patterns’ link at the top)
- Manequim - Selected Manequim patterns (Portuguese)
- Osinka - An “Internet Magazine” in Russian
- Sew Daily – Free ePatterns & projects
- Ralph Pink – Free patterns in PDF format, most in size 10
- Lekala - Occasionally allow free downloading of their patterns in a fixed size (approximately Burda 44 equivalent)
Vintage Sewing Machines (Identification & Manuals):
- ISMACS International – International Sewing Machine Collectors Society – Lots of great vintage, antique and rare sewing machine information including, serial number search, free manuals, restoration advice, history and fun facts like this and this
- Sandman-Collectibles Singer Sewing Machine Identification - Follow through the questions to identify your Singer machine
- Singer Serial Numbers – Find out when your machine was made
- Singer Product Manuals - Search for your machines manual
- Singer 160th Anniversary Site – Enter your details and your machines serial number to get a cute commemorative certificate
- Sew-Classic – Discount sewing machine parts & supplies
- The Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog – Find ‘em, get ‘em, clean ‘em, fix ‘em, use ‘em, great blog
- Vintage Sewing Machines Blog - Lots of information about various machines.
- ISMACS Elna page – Links to history, model information and serial numbers
- Elna USA – Celebrating 70 years
- Helen Howes Sewing Machines – Vintage machine parts
- Needle Bar – The International Antique Sewing Machine Museum
- My Sewing Machine OBsession - Another useful blog
- Keeler Sales - Singer replacement decals
- Custom Featherweights - Decals and other information
- Hawes & Freer Ltd – NZ based supplier of fusible interlining, linings, fabrics, Italian buttons, zips, shoulder pads, pocketing and more!
- Lots of Buttons – Just like the name says! Great quantity discounts and free international shipping for orders over $25. Read about my first order experience here.
- Gone Sewing - Sewing machine feet and other notions, excellent service, huge range, fast delivery, cheap postage (free if you spend USD$120)
- Fantasy Labels – Woven name tapes & designer labels (Australian based)
- Nancy’s Notions – Great notions much cheaper than in the stores but check the shipping rates before you order
- Tessuti – Based in Melbourne – beautiful quality fabrics and a great source for books as well
- KimoYES – Vintage Japanese fabrics – Kimono, yukata, obi, remnants & more
- Pattern School - Stretch-fit pattern making, swimsuits etc, all free
- VintageSewing.Info – Free online access to public domain sewing books
- Evernote – Free database type software – read my gushing fan-girl essay here (update: The Android app is amazing!)
- Pattern Making Calculator – Calculator with all the fractions and sewing formulas you could ever want
- Gimp – Photoshop equivalent for Windows- see what you can do with the Gimp software here.
- Fashionary – Fashion Sketch Book
- Fashionary Templates – Downloadable Men’s & Women’s
- Threads Croquis Family
Last page update: 23 April 2013