I wasn’t going to write too much more about my wedding dress progress so that the finished product was more of a surprise for you all (all 10 of you according to my stats, hehe) but since my latest Patrones or my first Manequim magazine haven’t shown up yet (or my November Burda come to think of it) I’m a little short on blogging content. Mind you, as my friend S so cleverly pointed out they’d just be a distraction anyway and this way I can save them for reading material on the plane flights. I can take her idea one step further because if I souvenir myself some fabric I’ll have some patterns already picked out for it. I also really need to find some time to photograph my Melbourne Cup dress and convince Mr Curious to let me photograph him in his Stinchcomb jacket.
I’ll try not to give away too many spoilers: So you know that I picked up my fabric earlier in the month. I cut the interfacing and lining pieces first with the thought that if I started with the cheap (and easy to replace) it would ease my nervous scissor hands more gently into it. Unfortunately I had a bit of a problem with the self fabric. When I started to unroll it I noticed a little grey dot on the end of the fabric. No bother I said, I knew I’d bought too much fabric so I’d just start at the other end and this dot would end up on the leftovers. But as I unrolled a bit more there was another…and another….and another. All the way down the 6 meters or pristine white fabric. Crap. So I rolled it back up, put it into the bag, had a (little) cry then dug out my receipt and stuck it all it the car for a lunchtime dash back to Fabulous Fabrics the next day.
The girls there were great. There wasn’t enough of the same fabric left to cut another 6 meters and the roll that mine was originally cut from had the same grey dots through it. They helped me chose a few other “whites” and eventually I found another bolt with enough fabric on it that made me happy. This time they cut the fabric by hand (as opposed to using the rolling machine) so we could check the entire length for marks. There was a bit of soiling on the end of the roll, probably from someone draping it over themselves in front of the mirror so the manager gave me an extra 1.5 meters for free! They were all so nice and understanding so I went back to work very happy.
And so I started pinning and cutting my main fabric, careful to place my pins within the seam allowance since an earlier “pin test” showed my fabric liked pin holes very much, and then I cut. I can’t believe I was so nervous, I’ve already made this entire dress once from calico but there’s just something about the “real” dress that gives me the jitters. I desperately want it to be perfect and while a lot of people know that I am making it I don’t want people who don’t know to be able to tell that I made it myself. The true seamstresses test no?
It took a long time to baste all the interfacing to the internal lining pieces and the lining to the self fabric for the upper bodice but it all went quite smoothly. Then the first “proper” seam I sewed I ended up unpicking. I had sewn the wrong sides together but that’s ok, at least I got that error out of the way nice and early. My fiancé installed a soundcard to my computer earlier in the day so I got to catch up on Project Runway while I unpicked.
The internal bodice went together as smoothly as it did in calico and I am really happy with the fit and extended length.
The rest of the dress is (relatively) easy compared to this, just super amazingly long seams to sew, press and finish so I have spent a little bit of time on it each night during the week pinning and sewing these together (starting with the lining pieces again for good luck) and I am making good progress, completely on track in regards to my timeline.
Except that I still don’t have shoes…
Last night I hit another hiccup but I am hoping it is the last and if this is the worst mistake I make for the whole project then I’ll be happy. When I transferred my changes for the pleat from the calico to the paper pattern pieces I altered the wrong side of the centre back piece. I thought something was up when I was trying to pin it to the rest of the dress so I stopped and took out my calico dress to have a better look. When I laid the paper piece on it I knew exactly what I had done wrong and I couldn’t believe I had made such a simple mistake.
Knowing I had extra fabric saved me from a complete meltdown so I just re-cut the paper piece correctly and pulled out my extra fabric to recut those pieces. Back on track…again and that’s where I am up to. I have a finished internal bodice, the mostly assembled lining, assembled upper bodice and assembled lower skirt pieces. Now to bring it all together…