Have you guys seen Papercut’s new Constellation collection yet?
Katie has just released 6 new patterns each with their own variations, and they are now sized from XXS to XL.
Because I am a super-kiwi-fan-girl I’d like to share my picks:
I have to include the Meissa blouse since it is so close to my name…except that actually it’s the star at the head of the Orion constellation…but if you just slip an ‘L’ in there… 😉
It’s hard to pick between the two jackets, they are both my favourites. I haven’t seen a bomber sewing pattern yet (or at least not one that has caught my attention) – I love the geometric detail at the sleeve head, you could have a lot of fun with that!
And last up is the Bellatrix blazer, classic with a twist, and guess what? I made one! Wanna see?
Yeah you do!
I was overloaded with ideas for this blazer but I decided to go with my initial gut feel and keep my first version classic and versatile. For the shell I used a piece from my stash that I bought way back in 2010 from the Empire Rose sale.
I labelled it as cotton but I suspect it’s actually more linen. It’s a really dark blue, almost black, but it gets better! It has a subtle pinstripe through it that is actually metal filaments so it has this awesome sparkle in the sunlight. It’s a nice twist on classic but I also think it’s the perfect fabric for a star themed blazer. This piece has been biding it’s time in my stash for a while – because the stripes are real metal it needed to be made into something lined, on a cut edge those little buggers are sharp!
Even through this is a fully lined blazer, it stitched up quick! The shawl collar and single button helps but also the sleeves went in so easily.
This is my second Papercut garment (I have a finished La Sylphide that is awaiting photographs and a second in the works) so it’s no fluke.
I could gush at you all day about Katie’s amazing pattern drafting and construction. Recently I developed a bit of a sleeve phobia. Every sleeve I set in these days has so much excess sleeve head that I end up with a puffy sleeve no matter how it’s supposed to look or how I insert it. It usually take me 3 or 4 attempts until I am happy and I find it really frustrating. I can’t decide if it’s lazy drafting or if I should be insulted they expect we have such little skill we need all that excess fabric to play with.
Ok /end rant 😡
Seriously though, I didn’t even need to baste these puppies in, perfect, first time, both sides, happy kiwi!
Pattern – Papercut Patterns Bellatrix blazer (Constellation Collection), variation 2, size M (pattern testing)
- Shell: Cotton/Linen with metallic filament pin stripe – Empire Rose, Perth (bought April 2010, $7.00/m)
- Lining: Satin, Spotlight, Porirua
Other notions – 1 metal shank button, from stash