It’s been a while since Kat and I unleashed the Papercut Fangirl Twinsies 😉
So we decided it was time for a pair of Coppélias.
You might notice that our versions look a little different from each other.
When we decide on a twinsies pattern we don’t really discuss how we are each going to interpret it. We might share a sneak peek of our fabric choice but generally we sew them separately to suit our individual tastes and then see what happens when we meet up for photos!
It’s more fun that way.
So you get to see Kat’s striped version with short sleeves and my solid coloured version with lengthened ties and bodice.
The Coppélia stitched up quickly on my 4-threads-of-awesomeness overlocker and I hardly needed to look at the instructions (I mostly just glanced at the diagrams) because this is super easy to make.
Then it sat for a while in the corner because I wasn’t really sure if I liked it.
I just couldn’t get it to sit nice when I tried it on and the back felt really big on me. When I tied it up my side seams came forward and I had a lot of bunching at the back.
After we had some time apart I picked it up out of the naughty corner and added two long vertical darts in the back and that helped a little but the arms were still quite big at the top and very long.
I gave up and decided I would just see what Kat (and photographer Nikki) would have to say.
They both agreed that the problem was quite simple, I cut it too big…and once said out aloud everything clicked! It was even more obvious when tried on Kat’s XS (I cut an S) and it fitted perfectly…after Kat helped me dress…haven’t quite gotten the knack of it yet.
So, all is good and I will make another, soon, because it was so quick and didn’t need much fabric…plus I love speeding on my overlocker, it makes NH nervous 😉
Also this happened:
These photos were taken in front of the Executive Wing of New Zealand Parliament Building…or Beehive to the locals. It’s a beautiful spot on a sunny day to have lunch and take long overdue sewing photos.
There are also lots of huge Pohutukawa trees…so we did some tree climbing, in heels, because, yeah… 🙂
Check out Kat’s Strawberry Shortcake Coppélia here.
Pattern – Papercut Coppélia, size S, lengthened 10cms, lengthened ties.
Next time I will cut an XS, lengthen another 5cms (15cm in total) and possibly shorten the sleeves.
Fabric – 1.30m of 154cm wide mystery electric blue stretchy fabric from Arthur Toye, purchased November 2013 for $24.95/m – 50% discount.
Big thank you to Nikki for being our lunchtime photographer.
PS: If you feel like it, I’d love you pop over the Pattern Review a vote for my Megan Nielson Cotton Candy Culottes in the New To Me Pattern Co. Contest.